Casting Tip April 2018by: Bill Armon CCI
FFI Five Essentials
FFI Five Essentials / Principles (for casting)
1) There is a pause at the end of each stroke, which varies in duration with the amount of line beyond the rod tip.
2) Slack line should be kept to a minimum.
3) The rod tip must follow a straight line path.
4) Casting stroke is increased with the length of the line being cast.
5) Power must be applied in the proper amount and in the proper place during the stroke.
Which of these principles is most important?
1) If there is no pause what will happen?
2) If slack is introduced into the line what will happen?
3) If the rod TIP dips what happens? If the rod tip gets too high?
4) What happens to the line if the length of the cast increases and the stroke stays the same?
5) If too much power is applied what happens? If too little power is applied what happens? If the power is applied too soon what happens and lastly, if the power is applied too late what happens?
Archive of Past Casting TipsMarch 2018 Tuck Cast
February 2018 Five Essentials
Nov/Dec 2017,Tenkara Cast
August 2017, Loop & Loop Control
July 2017, A Few Random Points
June 2017, Your Cast Does Not Start Until Your Fly Moves
September 2016, Keeping Fly Line Clean
August 2016, Double Haul
June 2016, Forming a Loop
May 2016, Back to Basics
November/December 2015, From Mel Krieger and Lefty Kreh
October 2015, The Fundamentals
September 2015, The Essentials
August 2015, The Guruâ€™s Basic Casting Principles and / or Essentials
February 2015, The Most Important Concepts
January 2015, Back to Basics
November/December 2014, Winter Practice
October 2014, Casting Split Shot
August 2014, Aerial Mends Continued
July 2014, The Curve Cast
June 2014, The Reach Cast
May 2014, The Pile Cast
April 2014, The Tuck Cast
March 2014, More Casting Terminology
February 2014, Casting Terminology
January 2014, Tailing Loops (pt.2)
October 2013, Tailing Loops
September 2013, Forming Controlled Loops
August 2013, Identify Your Bottleneck (part 2)
July 2013, Identify Your Bottleneck - Correct Power Application
May 2013, What is Smooth
April 2013, Application of Power
March 2013, The reach and aerial mend casts.
February 2013, Mending
November 2012, Timing, Grip, and Hand/Rod Stop Position
October 2012, 5 things that will improve your casting
Return whence you came.